Sunday, July 6, 2014

20th Arrondissement: Père Lachaise

One of the things I had been looking forward to most about coming to Paris again was the opportunity to visit Père Lachaise, which I had somehow missed during my other visits. Oscar Wilde has been one of my favorite authors for years, and one of my top priorities for my very first Paris trip was to visit and kiss his grave. Somehow that still has yet to come to fruition.
Père Lachaise: Tourist Location

 We visited Père Lachaise this past week. The entranceway is grand and elaborate, hinting at qualities of the cemetery itself.
As morbid as they are, I have always loved cemeteries. Père Lachaise is without a doubt my favorite cemetery I have visited.
 One of the things I enjoyed most about Père Lachaise was how much plant life and greenery there was throughout the cemetery.
 There are numerous impressive family graves, which were some of the most beautiful.












Because Père Lachaise is so large, we were unable to locate Oscar Wilde's grave before it was time to leave, but we did manage to find Jim Morrison's. Morrison's grave is one of the most popular to visit.
This tree faces Morrison's grave, and has been covered in chewed gum by visitors as tribute.

Au Rond Pont: Commercial Business

This cafe, Au Rond Pont, faces Père Lachaise and is a great place to take a break before or after navigating the expansive cemetery with a delicious crepe!
Belleville China Town: Interesting Site

We stopped by China Town in Belleville, but the shops weren't quite what we had been expecting. I wouldn't recommend this location so much as a tourist attraction but rather for authentic Chinese food or groceries. You can buy a whole pig snout!

Parc de Belleville: Architectural Object

Our next stop was Parc de Belleville. Do I have to say again that I love parks in Paris? Parc de Belleville was the most child-friendly park I have found yet. The park is filled with fancy playground equipment and birthday parties galore!

 There is even a piano for anyone to play!



Overall, the park was beautiful and very family-friendly.
Obododo Hotel: Two Star Hotel

Our last stop was the Obododo Hotel. The hotel is located 10 meters from Père Lachaise, and double rooms start at 70 Euros a night. Though the 20th district is far from the center of Paris, Père Lachaise and Parc de Belleville are beautiful! 



Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_arrondissement_of_Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment